Friday, January 28, 2011

Ordinary...

A snippet from my message on Sunday, some folks had asked about it...

Matthew 4:18-22 (The Message)

 18-20Walking along the beach of Lake Galilee, Jesus saw two brothers: Simon (later called Peter) and Andrew. They were fishing, throwing their nets into the lake. It was their regular work. Jesus said to them, "Come with me. I'll make a new kind of fisherman out of you. I'll show you how to catch men and women instead of perch and bass." They didn't ask questions, but simply dropped their nets and followed.
 21-22A short distance down the beach they came upon another pair of brothers, James and John, Zebedee's sons. These two were sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, mending their fishnets. Jesus made the same offer to them, and they were just as quick to follow, abandoning boat and father.


Life is always moving. God’s mission is constantly flowing, weaving in and through our lives. We can observe or we can participate. I’ve heard the excuses, most of them I’ve made myself, My wallet isn’t fat enough, my mind isn’t sharp enough, I’m too far gone for you to use, I’m too young, I’m too old, I’m scared. Pick yours, and put it to rest. God doesn’t need the wealthiest, the smartest, or the most eloquent. God needs you and me, not just needs, but wants. God wants to put us in the game, he wants to get us off the sidelines of life and give us a chance to shine. We are exactly what God wants when and where he wants us. And it isn’t a mistake. God isn’t leaving it up to chance.

I’m not a betting man, but if I was, and you told me this Gospel story and then asked if I thought these fishermen had what it takes to change the world, I likely wouldn’t bet the house on them. But Jesus did. Jesus bet his life on them, and on us.

Ordinary people from ordinary lives have been loving God and loving their neighbor and changing the world since Jesus first called these guys off their boats. I bet if I asked Jesus why he chose these guys, he’d tell me a few things. “They were available, they were willing, and, in the end, they just followed me when I asked them.” 
God doesn’t require the best of the best. He creates it. God takes the ordinary and makes it extraordinary. So rejoice in your shortcomings, stand strong in your weaknesses. God wants you just the way you are. What he desires is your willingness to follow Jesus.