Friday, November 19, 2010

Because of them...

I just got back from Washington DC late last night. Jess had a conference for work and so I decided to tag along and enjoy the nation's capital. I hadn't been there since 9th grade and I honestly can't remember that trip at all, so I was due for a trip back. It was a profound experience, thinking about all that goes in to creating and sustaining this great nation. I think what struck me the most was the honor and respect given to those who made this country what it is. From the Jefferson memorial to the Lincoln and Washington memorials, I was struck by the size of the statues. But it is only fitting, for these men were truly giants. I mourned a little knowing that the days of those giants is likely over. The modern political battlefield leaves very few healthy enough to take on such monumental struggles.

It was later in the evening when battlefields came to mind in a different way. We were visiting the WWII memorial, a truly overwhelming experience that I knew would have an impact on me. I know I'm a little late for veteran's day, but the deep appreciation and gratitude I have for those who have served and do serve is truly humbling.
As we entered into the interior oval of the memorial, a large group of schoolkids was gathered, waiting to enter. They were rowdy and I grimaced as I noticed the "Quiet, Respect Please" sign near the entrance. I knew it wouldn't be a great mix. Jess and I were a quarter of the way around, caught up in the experience, when I heard some splashing. One of the jr. high aged kids was trying to splash water at his friends from one of the reflecting pools. I stopped and turned and stared at the kid, giving him a look that could have frozen that pool over. I waited for him to get it and turn and run after his friends before I turned back to Jess. I remember saying something along the lines of, "These kids don't get it, why even bring them here?" Jess, always the level headed one, reminded me of the undeveloped brain of the adolescent, but I was already feeling some reality sink in.
It was because of them. Our men and women fight and die so kids can be kids. Here I am getting after some kid I don't know because he is being who he is supposed to be. They get to run and laugh and be naughty because of the freedom that has been won for them.
I guess I needed to be reminded of a history lesson that night as well...
Thank you veterans, for the gift of freedom.