Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Need vs. Want

I’m working on the concept of “need” and “want” with Kate, my four year old daughter. Kate recently won the grand prize at a local fall festival, a shiny new bike! (For a 14 year old boy…) They included the gift receipt thankfully, so I told Kate we’d take it back. When asked what she’d do with the money, she said, “Can I put it in my bank? Piggy is hunnnngry.” I couldn’t say no to that so I gave her some cash and kept the $130 gift card of store credit.
What? We’ll buy groceries and necessities with it. We provide for her needs and a reasonable amount of her wants. But when her wants become extravagant or unhealthy, we have to say no. As parents, Jess and I know what is good for her and what is too much. Switching gears, I find myself in the same situation as Kate, only with different “wants.” Shouldn’t I be able to decide what is appropriate for me? God has some input on that question. Wouldn’t you like to why God doesn’t give you everything you want, or even some of the things you think you need? Find the answers to that and more in our upcoming ACTS series called “Keep Climbing.” It starts October 3rd at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Brooklyn Park and runs for four weeks on Sunday mornings during each of the worship services. If you worship at 9, attend at 10:30. Worship at 10:30? Start the day off great and join us at 9… Walk with a large and small group as you discover how God works with us through the challenges in our lives. Grow Deep on Sunday mornings!
Blessings,
Pastor Luke